Right now in Finland we enjoy a truly lovely, sunny weekend, with temperatures going up to 27C in Helsinki! Such weather is not very common here and it makes me appreciate cloudless sky more and more the longer I live here. As much as the sun awakens my inner resources of energy, it makes me a bit lazy when it comes to cooking. The summer days definitely require light and quick dishes, made without the necessity of tedious standing by a burning hot cooker. I made this dish for the first time as a way to clean our fridge from some leftovers, yet the sauce came out so tasty and easy to do that I repeat it from time to time, particularly during hot, lazy days. I prefer to use cold smoked salmon or gravlax, as the fish flavour is more intense, yet any leftover salmon will do, let it be hot smoked one or even oven baked one. It’s a lovely summer lunch dish, to be made in no time. The amounts given below are enough for 2 people.
250ml crème fraiche
a bunch of dill, finely chopped
5-6 slices of cold smoked salmon, sliced to small pieces
3 tbsp small capers
freshly ground black pepper – quite much
salt and lemon juice to taste
1. Cook the proper amount of spaghetti for 2 people. In the meantime, slowly heat up crème fraiche.
2. Add dill, capers, pepper and lemon juice and simmer for a minute or two.
3. Add the salmon and immediately take the sauce away from the heat. Season with salt.
We are really lucky with weather this week. Ok, it’s not exactly Canary Islands here, but we have pretty decent Finnish summer with temperatures round +20. It feels somehow so “too early” for that. Just 3 weeks ago, when I was leaving to USA ,there were still no leaves on the trees. And now suddenly the summer is here! Somehow we missed spring this year, the winter was long and believe it or not it’s green around from less than a month! I believe that’s why when I recently spotted strawberries and cherries on the market I was pretty much in shock, it just didn’t feel like it’s already time for those! There should be spring before! Well now I just feel I have to rush and buy all the seasonal produce before the winter comes back…. a big shopping is definitely awaiting us in the weekend 😉 Anyway with such a nice weather, I like to enjoy a light vegetarian dish. So I decided to make light lemony spaghetti that was elevated with bursting with flavor tomatoes confit (oh I love so much those little jewels 😉 ) Ahh lazy summer lunch, nothing can beat you….
300g cherry tomatoes
provencal herbs, salt, pepper, spicy paprika
handful of basil leaves
1 mozzarella shredded in pieces
zest from half a lemon
juice from half a lemon
4 tbsp of small capers
olive oil, salt, pepper
1. Prepare tomatoes confit. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Pour olive oil into an oven proof dish (there should be 1-2mm layer of oil in the dish). Dip the tomatoes with their cut side in the oil and then face them up in the dish. Sprinkle them with dried mixture of Provencal herbs, salt, pepper and a pinch of spicy paprika or chili. Heat the oven to 100C and leave them for several hours in, till they are wrinkled and a bit dried up (or heat it up till 50C and leave overnight).
2. Boil spaghetti. Mix all the ingredients together.